Purpose & Positioning
Faced with new expectations from workers and consumers alike, companies must define a purpose that creates meaning for all of their stakeholders : this becomes the condition for performance. Purpose is an expression of the social utility of the company beyond profit generation, it is essential for recruiting and retaining talents, creating a relationship of trust with customers, partners and society at large. Purpose ensures the consistency and impact of the company's strategy over the long term.
We are convinced that purpose is the one condition for companies to have an impact in society. Because it creates meaning and meets the expectations of new generations of talent and consumers, it creates value for companies as well as society.
Purpose has become a necessity to create support for any business endeavour, to attract talents as well as customers: it is no longer possible to initiate a new business, strategy or project without defining its purpose. In today’s society, business leaders always have to answer the question “why ?” first.
Purpose is a key factor of attractiveness, competitiveness and performance for companies. It is an answer to the challenges of the current economic environment as well as to the new concerns of workers and consumers.
- RECRUITMENT – Purpose is a condition to recruit and retain millenials, the talents of tomorrow. Millenials seek meaningful and impactful experiences both at work and in their private lives.
- TRANSFORMATION – Widespread adhesion to purpose within a company fosters flexibility in management, it makes for a stronger and more agile organisation. Teams can innovate and the company transform itself more rapidly because there is a consensus around a shared vision that goes beyond economic production.
- COMMITMENT – Today, society expects companies to be committed to social justice and common good consistently and in all aspects of their business.
5 steps approach to putting Purpose to work for your company
Purpose and its definition are powerful drivers of business transformation and can help align all stakeholders with a shared vision. It cannot be willed into existence, it must emerge from the organization itself. The approach and methodology of the Corporate Purpose Program is based on that belief.
Our Corporate Purpose Program is based on three pillars.
- A series of founding interviews with board members and key managers to understand the DNA of the company and channel the process.
- An open consultation of employees and relevant stakeholders, which is not limited to a request for opinion, but uses civic tech to allow for a consensus to emerge within the organisation.
- A series of 4 creative workshops with key interlocutors identified to turn an idea of purpose into a clear statement of belief that will help drive commitment to it throughout the organisation.
WEMEAN supports companies, organizations and institutions in finding their purpose, based on their identity, their values and their history. To be meaningful and create value, the formalization of purpose is based on:
- a SELF-INTROSPECTION exercise conducted with the management team. This exercise must establish the link between the past and the future of the company through its values and identity. This is the condition for the purpose to embody a long-term vision.
- a CONCERTATION process at the company-level that makes it possible for a consensus to emerge. This consensus will be the foundations of a new shared corporate culture. This is the condition for purpose to be an embodiment of collective interest.
- an ENGAGEMENT platform aligned with the company's identity that materializes a new will to have a positive impact within the company and within society. This is the condition for purpose to be authentic, well identified both internally and externally.